With only $1.000 of English gold as stock, 12 employees and 4 weaving machines. In October 22nd, 1907, the Colombiana de Tejidos Company, Coltejer was established with the signatures from Alejandro Echavarría and Son, and R. Echavarría & Cia.
- We launched the first product from Coltejer, a flannel shirt, which generated comments such as "as strong and as big as a ruana".
Only 1909 we inaugurate officially our company, when the President General Rafael Reyes turned on a switch from the Palacio de la Carrera in Bogotá that started the machinery in Medellín.
In spite of the crisis that began in 1929, we imported more than 200 automatic weaving machines from England and maintained 7.000 spindles, 160 weaving machines and our 300 employees.
- We produced the first printed fabric in Colombia made of cotton, the Crespón Carmen.
We initiated the mercerization processes and an accelerated modernization and production cycle.
- The number of employees increases to 1.320 people.
- In this period we acquire: Rosellón and Manufacturas Sedeco, this last one produced rayon. We also acquired the Itagüí building, located in the future highway.
- We participated in the Andi foundation, from the Banco Industrial Colombiano and associated with Compañía Suramericana de Seguros. And to consolidate the radio industry, we were present during the foundation of La Voz de Antioquia and Caracol.
By then, we had 5.000 automatic weaving machines.
- In 1985, the new spinning facility Open End started working in Rionegro, with a capacity for 20 tons of thread per day. Later, we inaugurated, also in Rionegro, the denim cord facility. Towards the end of the decade, we created the Comercializadora Internacional de Coltejer (C.I. Coltejer S.A.) which started exporting garments.
- During 1988 and 1989 we modernized weaving and finishing processes, systematizing the productive processes, engineering, planning, control and product dispatch.
In February 20, 2001, as a result of the trade agreements for imports, the devaluation of the Colombian currency and textile contraband, we adhere to the law 550/99 to re-negotiate credits and remain profitable.
- In 2006, we started operating in CI Coltejer, the new denim production facility, with a capacity to produce one million meters per month
In mid-2008, we signed up for a Rescue Agreement of the Company, through which the Kaltex Group from México, acquired the majority of Coltejer shares.
Our experience in fabrics manufacturing has enabled us to reach during this period to the main manufacturers of the country and to the most recognized brands worldwide.
- We ventured into the manufacture of home products and uniforms in specialized entities such as the Defense Ministry (Air Force, Navy and the Police).
- We added licenses of internationally recognized brands to our home line for bedclothes.
- Finishes like “Soil Release or Scotch Gard”, water repellent, fire retardant, permanent press, peach finish and brushed began to be offered to the customers.